The purposes of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States are fraternal, patriotic, historical, charitable, and educational, and are to:
- to preserve and strengthen comradeship among its members;
- to assist worth comrades;
- to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, and to assist their surviving spouses and orphans;
- to maintain true allegiance to the Government of the United States, and fidelity to its Constitution and laws;
- to foster true patriotism;
- to maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom; and
- to preserve and defend the United States from all enemies.